Friday, June 22, 2007

The Exciting and The Sad

I week before setting off to USAT Nationals, I'm excited, nervous, anxious and hopefully ..ready.

And Sad.


The triathlon community just lost an amazing man. Jim McCann, president of the Tri Club of San Diego died suddenly and unexpectedly on Wednesday June 20, 2007. According to an article in the Union Tribune, his wonderful wife Dee Dee came home from a meeting to find him motionless and without life. The cause is unknown, however speculation is his death was caused by an aneursym as he had been complaining of head aches earlier in the week. Jim was only 46.


Jim is an amazing person. I say that in present, because Jim's the kind of guy that will never leave you. Last Friday he showed up at the La Jolla Cove just to hang out with people who were swimming that evening. He smiled and said, "I haven't been here for awhile, just thought I'd come and check it out." Jim was like your tri club dad. He was everywhere doing everything for everyone. "Jim, I need to get a new wetsuit, what do you recommend?" I asked him last month. He was sure to make sure I was appropriately outfitted with the latest and greatest wetsuit at a super deal to make my debut at Nationals.

You asked Jim, he gave. With a smile. To see the glow on his face during the Aquathons that he, his wife & Sportsquest put on every month would make you too feel like a million bucks. "You know, I'll give you a tip," he'd say. "If you set up your transition over there," and he'd point a little farther up the beach, "you won't have to backtrack when you get out of the water." He wanted to help everyone.

I got to meet and interact with Jim through my coach, Peter Clode & his wife Neily Mathias. Jim would stop by the JCC and chat about ideas. "Hey, I need somebody to ......" Jim would casually ask. Whatever it was, write an article, help with an event, brainstorm about a new idea or business, you name it, everyone jumped to help Jim. He had such a way with people. Everyone was his friend. If you or I were to pass away tomorrow, would we have left our mark on this world like Jim?

I will miss Jim..... a lot....

Sincerely,

Raja

Triathlete Magazine: Article on Jim
Union Tribune: Article on Jim
Competitor: Article on Jim
Triathlon Club of San Diego: click here for link


2 comments:

Shan said...

Raja,

That was beautifully written...I am still in shock and so sad about this. I think the best thing we can do within our triathlon family is rise up and continue to give to each other the way Jim continuously gave to us and to TCSD.

I know I'll be racing SDIT with thoughts of him in my heart on Sunday.

Hugs,
Shannon

Rachel said...

Raja,

We will all miss Jim. It is so shocking that he is gone so suddenly.

By the way, do you ride dressage AND do triathlon? If so, how do you find the time? I am someone who found triathlon after my horse passed away. I used to ride dressage as well.