Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Tempe International Triathlon

May 20, 2007

I haven't written a race report lately, and a lovely note from Lillybella inspired me to write my latest and greatest. I guess people actually enjoy reading about pain and suffering!

So I've recently learned there's a new breed of humanoid that lives in the desert. They thrive on temperatures that are unnatural to be exercising in. (Is that proper English? I'd like to say English is my second language... Mumbo-jumbo is my first.) They swim in bathwater. They don't seem to be affected by the extreme dry weather. Cactus is their friend. They must be triathletes.

But before I get to the race.. let's talk clothing, more specifically, tri suits. I can't tell you how stoked I am to get the new Bella tri kit. I was forewarned that this race may be a non-wetsuit swim, so I searched behind the car seat for change, dug in my jersey pockets for any freshly washed 5 dollar bills, sold the cat, and bought a tri 1-piece. I've never bought one before, and this one happens to have a built in bra. "How cleaver" I thought!

Yeah.. not so much!

Clearly a man designed these things.

Have you ever tried to shimmy into a 1-piece with a built in bra? It takes an act of God to get into these things. Bra on first? Then how do I get my legs in? My butt is too big! Ok, legs in first, then wedgie that thing as high as it can go and wiggle one arm in, then over the head... choke choke.... stretch it over my other elbow... slip the arm out... phew, it's on!

Oh no... gotta go pee!

Now back to the humanoids. So are regular workouts in 100 degrees healthy?? Well, these racers out here don't seem to be slowed by a little 3 digit weather. I'll sum it up since the actual race wasn't any more interesting than the last, other than the tri suit, the heat, did I mention the heat, and the flight of stairs at mile 5.5 on the run. Yep, stairs. Recap: Swim was unimpressive as usual. Bike was pretty fast (go HED!). Run, painful. Did I mention the stairs?? I didn't train for that one. Oh yeah, the swim was wetsuit legal, at 77 degrees. Next time I want to train for this race, I'll go and go laps in the jacuzzi with my wetsuit on...

I placed 2nd. I was excited, really! It was just so hot (even after I went back to the hotel to shower & cool off) standing there looking at the results, I opted just to get back in the air conditioned car and start the 5 hr trek home. I couldn't even wait for awards. Freakin' hot! What can I say.. I live in San Diego. I'm a sensitive flower! ;-)

Happy Riding!
Raja Lahti-McMahon

P.S. On a side note... that Beljium Budder chamois cream - works like a charm!! Post-race Happy Raja! Not-so-sensitive flower! Wahoo!!

(and no animal was harmed during the making of this report!)

No comments: